Please meet my new roomie!

Well, I promised to introduce you to someone new didn't I? Please meet Bertha (as named by Little Girl) - a Singer Featherweight 221k born in February 1950.

Isn't she beautiful?! Bertha was my birthday present from Mr f&f. There was a short discussion before purchasing as to whether or not she had a specific use (piecing), was I starting a collection (maybe.....) and what was she able to do (straight stitch........but doesn't she look pretty?!). I 'won' her on eBay and to be fair she's in pretty good condition. There is some damage to the paint work on the bed but on the whole I think she's pretty good. I've given her a bit of a clean and polish and will probably do a bit more when I have some proper time and all this school half day malarkey has finished (next week - woo hoo!).


Bertha came with lots of extras, most of them I can figure out but a few others I'm going to have to look in to......working from left to right I think I've got a Edge Stitcher foot, a Rolled Hem Foot, an Adjustable Hemmer (which looks mighty scary!) and I'm not sure about the last one?! Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I'm also going to be on the look out for a buttonhole foot as I've heard great things about them.

The other thing she came with is a musty smell, which isn't so good. I've replaced the felt in the bottom tray and tried to give the case a good clean and leave it out in the sun but it still hasn't gone. I'm wondering if I need to give the actual machine a good clean too? If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I've only had a little go on her so far - I'm halfway through lots of projects and I think the foot pedal is going to take a little getting used to but she stitches beautifully and I can't wait to have more of a play. And maybe an organisation of my room so that I can put her proudly on display!

S x

Todays sky ● blue skies with the occassional stormy cloud

Labels: