Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Please meet my new roomie!

Well, I promised to introduce you to someone new didn't I? Please meet Bertha (as named by Little Girl) - a Singer Featherweight 221k born in February 1950.

Isn't she beautiful?! Bertha was my birthday present from Mr f&f. There was a short discussion before purchasing as to whether or not she had a specific use (piecing), was I starting a collection (maybe.....) and what was she able to do (straight stitch........but doesn't she look pretty?!). I 'won' her on eBay and to be fair she's in pretty good condition. There is some damage to the paint work on the bed but on the whole I think she's pretty good. I've given her a bit of a clean and polish and will probably do a bit more when I have some proper time and all this school half day malarkey has finished (next week - woo hoo!).


Bertha came with lots of extras, most of them I can figure out but a few others I'm going to have to look in to......working from left to right I think I've got a Edge Stitcher foot, a Rolled Hem Foot, an Adjustable Hemmer (which looks mighty scary!) and I'm not sure about the last one?! Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I'm also going to be on the look out for a buttonhole foot as I've heard great things about them.

The other thing she came with is a musty smell, which isn't so good. I've replaced the felt in the bottom tray and tried to give the case a good clean and leave it out in the sun but it still hasn't gone. I'm wondering if I need to give the actual machine a good clean too? If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I've only had a little go on her so far - I'm halfway through lots of projects and I think the foot pedal is going to take a little getting used to but she stitches beautifully and I can't wait to have more of a play. And maybe an organisation of my room so that I can put her proudly on display!

S x

Todays sky ● blue skies with the occassional stormy cloud

7 comments:

Flying Blind... said...

She's mighty pretty for a smelly old girl xxx

Collette said...

oh she is just beautiful!!! I love her name too! I got a vintage bernina a while ago and it feels so special to use something so old, doesn't it? And isn't the stitch quality amazing?? Maybe she just needs a v good oiling? My Bernina's case was v musty but the machine smelt all lovely and oily at first. The guy who serviced her used a wd 40 silicone lubricant thingy which smells great. x

Hannlib said...

I have one and it smells musty too. Big part of the reason I shamefully haven't used it yet, combined with the fact an epic eBay seller/ courier nightmare took the shine right off. I got it over the summer though and put it outside a lot over the v hot weather which seemed to help. I should open it and see really. And maybe oil it and turn it on .....

Lynne said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! What a great present. May you have many happy sewing hours with her!

made by ChrissieD said...

Gorgeous Sonia - The last foot on the right is a ruffler - it's the same that I have for my Singer 99K. I have a copy of the 99K manual, I know your machine is a different model but towards the end of the manual it tells you how to use each foot, including the ruffler, might be useful - I'll email it to you - Chris :D

Betty said...

Youtube and the internet is full of infoo on Featherweights: maintenance and the use of several parts. Have fun!!

Betty said...

To get rid of the smell: leave her overnight on her box with a cloth with a few drops of nice smelling oil + a 100W lamp (if you can still find one) Leave the lamp on all night (or day) and most of the smell is gone from box & machine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...