From Cushion to Project Bag!!!

Hello all! How was your weekend? Was it snowy? We haven't had any more snow since Friday so it was a slippery walk into school this morning!

Back last week I made a trip to my local Dunelm determined to get a nice squishy cushion pad for my patchwork cushion, as the one I'd used for the pictures was a little too small. Whilst having a browse, I came across a bargain basket of cushions at £1 each for a cushion and a cover, which seemed much better value than £2.50 for just a cushion pad! So I quickly made my purchase and headed home.

It seemed a shame to throw the cushion cover away as it was quite pretty and had a zip closure at the back, I just didn't have anywhere to put it....after a bit of pondering, it came to me: I could make myself a little project bag!

I used Noodlehead's Open Wide Pouch tutorial as, having made one before, I knew it was easy to make and I just love how the pouch opens up nice and wide so that you can see everything 'cos, you know, when you're working on a project you always lose something at the bottom of the bag!!!

After trimming off the sides, I carefully removed the zip and chopped the 'height' of the back piece in half (if that makes sense?!) to maximise the size of my pouch as the zip closure had been placed 3/4 of the way up. My pieces ended up measuring 12" x 8".


I fussy-cut two 12" x 8" pieces for the exterior of my pouch, and added some sew-in interfacing to give it an extra bit of firmness (I'd run out of of fusible interfacing - boo!).

I followed Noodleheads instructions all the way through, using a measurement of 2.5" when squaring the corners. I did make a few extra modifications to suit my project bag needs;

✿ Adding a tab at both ends of the zip and placing the zip so that it extended beyond the pouch at both ends
✿ Adding an internal pocket so that I can squirrel away patchwork templates and the like
✿ Putting in a lanyard that I can clip my scissors too and find them with ease (this is of course assuming that I remember to actually re-attach my scissors after using them. Mmmmmm!)


So here it is.....ta-dah!



I'm quite pleased with my thrifty pouch, and hope to be using it very soon for some more patchwork. Or maybe some knitting. And if you're looking for a quick gift, I would definitely recommend this pattern - it's ace!

I'm going to link up with Lets Get Acquainted as my latest make hot off the machine!

See you all soon,

S x

Todays sky ● mostly white, but the sun is just starting to peep through

Labels: ,