Wednesday, 5 September 2012

Sending a hug

I don't know about you, but in a world of increasing technology, being busy with a young family and living some distance from a lot of my good friends and family I will quite often find myself saying/writing/texting "I'm sending you a big hug". It's not as good as just being able to pop round and give them a hug but goes some way towards letting them know that if I lived round the corner I would be round in a shot doing just that kind of thing.

Recently, my mum's not been feeling very well and living nearly a two hour drive away it's not very easy for me to just pop in. However, Friday last week something was arranged very last minute for me to make a solo trip on Sunday. I wanted to take something with me and decided that a decent sized lap quilt that could be wrapped around you (just like a hug) would be perfect. I still had some fabric left over from my Jelly Roll quilt so I could start immediately and it was even a little stash busting to boot. Excellent!

So Friday afternoon, around 3pm I started chaining piecing all my squares together, and by bedtime I'd managed to get all 56 squares sewn together in a 8x7 formation.
 


Saturday I woke up early and decided that the quilt top just wouldn't be quite big enough and to add a cream sash and then a small border around the outside using some of the jelly roll strips that I had left.




















I used the same cream fabric as the sashing for the back of the quilt and spent quite a lot of time pinning my three layers into place to try and avoid any puckering, and do you know what? It pretty much worked, although trying to keep a hold of my pins once Littlest Boy learnt what I was doing was a different matter entirely....!!!!! I kept the quilting very simple - diagonal lines crossing through the corners of each square.

Sunday morning saw me rising early to sew on the binding before hand sewing it in to place. I took the quilt with me to my folks house but had to bring it home to finish the last side. So today a courier has safely delivered my hug.

Would you like to see how it looked in the end?
Sending a Hug Quilt by fabric&flowers



















It's not perfect - I eyeballed my quilting and some of the lines are not completely straight. And because it was done quickly I hadn't entirely thought about the border so not all of the small squares match up to the big squares, but I guess it's reflective of me as a person and maybe that will make my Mum smile as I'm giving her a virtual hug? Lots of enthusiasm but not entirely thought through!!!!

I love how despite using completely the same fabrics as for my jelly roll quilt it has such a different feel because of the larger blocks of fabric and lighter sash/binding.
Quilts by fabric&flowers
Quilts by fabric&flowers 

I thought you'd all be amused to see what happens when you're trying to take some pictures of a quilt and the Littlies suddenly realise what you're up to.....
Quilt by fabric&flowers
Quilt by fabric&flowers



...and my favourite shot: two Little Boys giggling their heads off whilst I'm snapping away!
Sending a Hug quilt by fabric&flowers


So, details...

Fabric::: October Skies: 56 x 6" squares, jelly roll strips and some cream fabric for sashing/backing
Pattern::: made up! Squares laid out in an 8x7 block, surrounded with a 2" sash and 2" squares for the border
Finished quilt::: 51" x 45"

And because I know that they sometimes read this I'm also sending a lot of heartfelt thanks to Mr f&f and his parents who occupied the Littlies whilst I was on my quilting mission, and stopped my pins, scissors and carefully laid out fabric from going too awry!

Do you ever send a hug to someone? Or maybe even get sent one? It's got me thinking about the opportunity of a Send a Hug swap......

S x

Todays sky ● glorious blue!

8 comments:

Thomasina Tittlemouse said...

What a beautiful idea, Sonia, and what a beautiful result! Like you, I often "send a hug" when I can't be there in person though I've never managed to send one quite as beautiful as yours! I love the idea of a lap quilt - a bit more manageable than a full-size one and perfect for what you had in mind. I bet your Mum loves it. Hope she feels better soon. On the sky theme wouldn't it be wonderful if you ended up 2012 in the clear blues of an Indian summer all the way to December?! E x

Lynne said...

What a gorgeous quilt, and a lovely idea!! I hope your Mum loves it, and she's feeling better soon. And may I just say WOW to putting a quilt together so quickly!! :)

Jackie Cr said...

The quilt is fantastic and I am totally in awe of how quickly you made it up! I quite often send ((hugs)) to people online when they need one. I bet your mum loves having her own hug whenever she needs it. x

rosyhill said...

Wow, I am so amazed by your talent! I would love to be able to quilt, let alone so beautifully and with that speed!
I hope your mother is feeling better,
Abigail x

Sonia said...

Thanks E! Sending hugs always feels like such a lovely sentiment doesn't it? And it's looking good for an Indian Summer so far.....I might have to order some more blue!!! Sx

Sonia said...

Thanks Lynne - I was quite tired by the time I'd finished all the binding I have to say! Sx

Sonia said...

Thanks very much Jackie :) I think having a basic pattern helped with the speed of making! x

Sonia said...

Thanks Abigail. And you should definitely give patchwork & quilting a go - maybe try some English Paper Piecing as it's quite easy to fit in around the Littlies! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...